Saturday, December 6, 2008

Shifter

The one complaint I had immediately about the car was that the shifter felt extremely long and sloppy. After some research, I had two good options, the TRD shift kit, or a combination of a 93+OEM shifter with a JonO short shift kit. The JonO combo appeared easier to find, a little cheaper, and performed almost as well, if not the same as the TRD kit.

The parts were ordered from Twos'r'us and installed a couple of weeks later. I went ahead and ordered new shifter base bushings and cable bushings as well, as rubber on a 17 year old car is iffy at best. The installation was again fairly easy, minus having to pry the shifter cup off of the old shifter, which managed to provide me with a nice gash on my finger! We did have our first bolt casualties, as I snapped two of the bolts that hold the shifter assembly onto the car. I'm sure we will have more.

The shifter is much better, though a little stiff. I intend on getting back in there, taking it apart again, and making sure everything is greased properly. It is a little hard to downshift into 2nd, and the 3rd gear synchros are going bad.

No comments: